Wednesday 11 October 2017

Autumn Leaves I

I walk for a living giving out parking tickets 

Dancing is not that appealing after work

So I let the the world dance for me

I love to watch and keep time with my mind

Autumn leaves swirl through through the air

Floating gently like snowflakes soon to come 

Tap dancing fairy rhythms like a knock on the door

When they strike my canvas coat 

Gathering stirring whispering singing

A protest movement against the winter wind

Til armor clad gusts push them into full scale riot

I try to exert my control over autumn leaves

I snap at heels and shepherd them in corral piles

The grip of my hand and pull of stubborn leaves

Reawakens languid summer muscle memory

Of wide shovels and heavy snow

I trudge along tunnel streets of trees holding hands

They bow they moan they mumble they stiffly sway

Stately old men knotted yet strong hosting Cotillion 

On the stage of my deck and yard

A cold but handsome Baryshnikov breeze

Stirs up ballerina leaves to follow his lead

The rain clouds roll in like ocean swells

A chill wind on my neck like a spectre's kiss

I'm the intrepid adventurous archaeologist spelunking

Scarab shell leaves crunch grimly  underfoot

The musty decay sets off sneezes and sniffles

Is the undiscovered pharaoh tomb around the corner

Walking past the skeletal cemetery trees I see

Gold flake autumn leaves covering crumbling tombs

The dusty markers stand a chorus line of headboards

Above a crimson pumpkin lemon drop leaf quilt

Tucking in and keeping warm loved ones

Thier dance is done save for the occasional  rustle

Of weary bones shifting into a better position 

Autumn leaves swirl through through the air












No comments:

Post a Comment