Wednesday 9 October 2013

I met a fair maid

(I'm cheating today. This is a poem I wrote a while a go. I put it to music. I often sing it while I busk at the farmer's market. It's a bard's Song of Solomon.)

V1
I met a fair maid, a daughter of the chief.
Her eyes beckoned me, her smile my heart's thief.
Wise as a wizard and out of my class.
Her neck's a strong tower, this great bonnie lass.
Refrain
You are my song of songs. I want to sing you.
You are the melody keeps me in tune.
You are the dancing beat of my heart's rhythm.
Come join this sweet duet, never will part.
V2
I'll pledge you my sword and my loyalty.
We'll live on the moors til two become three.
I'd give up my bow and the harps of the bard
To love and chase you—just don't run too hard.
V3
I said a wrong word at the wrong time
And now I know she will never be mine.
My dragon's tongue I never did tame.
I know this heart will never be the same.
V4
Packed up my horse, went to the next town.
With this sad song my burdens laid down.
She offered me ale and then she paid.
Again I can sing, "I met a fair maid"


2 comments:

  1. This has to be great fun to sing. I really like the blend of the love song with a touch of humor in such lines as the one about how you'll give up everything to chase her...just don't run too hard and the last one about the girl paying for the ale. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gallant bard! I love that you actually ding yours.

    ReplyDelete