Monday 7 October 2013

I Knew a Boy

I knew a boy named Matthew
Crowned with a mop of golden curls.
Just one of brats we older cousins teased.
They got tougher as they grew.
More dangerous to call them girls.
As wits grew quick tensions eased.

I knew a teen named Matt.
Sprouted up like a tall thin weed.
A tornado couldn't move that spiky hair.
This dude thought he was 'all that'.
Now that I think about it, he was indeed.
He rocked, was a DJ, and I wish it'd been me there.

I didn't really know him after that.
We moved from Sask. out to B.C.
I lost contact and just lived life.
Years later I Facebook friended Matt.
Still didn't know him but I could see
He was happy and we both had a wife.

I knew a man named Max.
He posted, 'anyone looking for work?'
I gave it a shot and I was hired.
He was smart, charismatic, fun and never lax.
The hardest challenges were hit head on with a smirk.
Then even he began to get tired.

I knew a man named Max Matthew Bembridge.
He was tired because he was sick.
Cancer.
The one thing he couldn't beat.
Today was his funeral.








1 comment:

  1. I liked the rhyme; thought you worked it in real well. I really liked that you threw out the rhyme for the last stanza...it's such a powerful ending and the deviation from pattern helps to emphasize it.

    ReplyDelete