Wednesday 3 October 2012

Driving the vultures away.

My wife and I were doing devotions out of Genesis 14-15. As I read Gen. 15:11 "When the vultures came down...Abram drove them away." For some reason, it reminded me of old folk spirituals. I could almost hear the choir humming sweet and low. I sang in my head, "Abram drove them vultures away..." The verses became a little more poetic, but here it is:

Chorus
When old Abraham was young Abram
He got up and he went out,
and he drove them vultures away.
He had to fight all day,
and he fought all night,
and he drove them vultures away.
Abram drove them vultures away.

In the book of Genesis so, the story goes,
Abram was told to sacrifice some birds, a cow, a goat.
The vultures came swooping down to try to take them away
To disturb his worship and stop his prayer that day.
He rose up from from his knees and gave a mighty shout.
He pleased the Lord who lit his altar with a fire that would not go out.

chorus

The greedy king of Elam sent his army to the land.
He said, "Take everything you see load horses and wagons with what comes to hand."
They came swooping down laughing, yelling, and taking what they found.
Any man that stood up to them, they ganged up and beat him to the ground.
They took the goods and captured women and men like nephew Lot.
Uncle Abram and his fighting men to back what the scavengers had got.

chorus

Like Abram, I left the old land to try to find a better way.
I try to sacrifice my will and worship the Creator every day:
But, the Devil, that old vulture king wants to kill, steal and destroy.
He's got a sneaky bag of tricks to bring me shame and take my joy.
He swoops in with thoughts of doubt and fear to keep me in sin's quicksand.
I'll put on my armour, take up my shield, pull out the sword, and make my stand.

If I have to fight all day,
If I have to fight all night,
I'll drive those vultures away! 


1 comment:

  1. "He rose up from from his knees and gave a mighty shout." Yes! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete